Keeping your home safe
According to the Canadian Paediatric Society, electrical outlets are usually right at a baby’s eye-level and anything from dangling wires to empty sockets can be appealing to a curious child.
And often, babies tend to chew on these objects or play with them with wet fingers.
“You wouldn’t leave acid on a table for a child, it’s the same for electricity,” Jeschke says.
The society has come up with the following tips for keeping your children safe from electric shocks or burns:
- Put safety covers on all electrical outlets that are not in use.
- Ensure unused safety plugs are out of baby’s reach.
- Use only electrical cords provided by the manufacturer of the appliance or fixture, and keep out of reach.
- Use extension cords that are the single-receptacle type. Cover empty outlets with safety plugs.